Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Very Scary Issue for Me

Post by admin »

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for your posting. I was actually considering having some weed, just a little, on one occasion, since someone gave me some for my b-day. I'm only on 50mg of Topamax a day. A Doctor in Los Angeles said not to do this often, that the "worst thing" that could happen was that I could grow male hairs on my face...(?)

I'm sorry for your bad experience, and would like to know more, if you feel like telling. I happen to be extremely chemically sensitive as well, so I'd be wise to heed your advice.

Thanks,
Samantha
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

Dear Kay,

Thanks for your post. Just a suggestion--I see you posted in March...I hope you didn't go off of Zoloft cold-turkey. That is a nightmare I hope no one ever has to experience! Hope it turned out okay...

Sammie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was told to go on this drug extremely slowly - to increase the dosage in extremely small quantities very gradually. I have had severe trouble with anemia since beginning the treatment - also I had the tingling trouble and was told to take extra B-12 - that did seem to stop that. It definitely decreased my appetite (that may have been part of the anemia and B-12 problem). I have found that if I take great care to be sure to eat decent meals (and I really need to THINK about that, as I get weak and dizzy before I ever get hungry) and take iron and B-12 supplements and a decent multi-vit, I seem to be fine on this. Some fo the symptoms of anemia are fatigue and confusion aand dizzines, and even nausia....so it may be worth considering if the symptoms you have are a direct side effect of the drug, or a secondary one from the decreased appetitie the drug gives...in the form of a nutritional deficency (oy - nothing is ever simple).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on topamax for three weeks now. My doctor prescribed it because of migraine headaches and chronic headaches following a car wreck. Previously I was getting head and neck injections every three weeks just to tolerate the pain. Topamax has put an end to that and made my fibromyalgia more bearable. I do occasionally hear a radio or TV playing when it's not, but I can live with that. I do have the numbness and tingling in my feet and hands. I also take other pain meds and muscle relaxers and topamax increases the effect of these meds so I do feel drowsy most of the time. But since I haven't been able to work or drive since the wreck I'm just enjoying not being in so much pain for however long it last. Topamax should be given in small doses and gradually built up to a larger dose so if a doctor prescribes a large dose right from the beginning I would get a second opinion. Your body cannot tolerate a large dose and the side effects will be worse if ministered in this way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear Fellow Topamax Takers: I started Topamax in May 2003 I had My first siezure in 12 years on June 7th. Stopped taking it June 10 2003. Now it is May 2004 and I still suffer all the side effects listed by others. Unfortunatly when I told my neuro that I think Topamax did further more permanent damagge he poo-pooed the idea...as I looked around his office I realized he had Topamax wall calender, Topamax writing pads, Topamax computer mouuse pad, Topamax pens, Topamax cups. He sent me to a psychiatrist because he thought I was depressed and the depression was causing my probs. Psych says no depression. I am switching neuros...I don't want a DR. who wins prizes to Hawaii for prescribing Topamax.-BMc
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

well i have been taking my pills for 2 months for migranes and i lost 20 pounds.i have them so bad i cant have light and i have to go to emergencey rooms.i also have a 2 1/2 year old shes a hand full my migranes get real bad they have me on pain medicane.too.but i have another question maybe you can answer.i wanna have another baby but theres a side affect that we cant have kids.or something like that cause we have to come slow off the medicane.
w/b/please
brandi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

well u know what im on 100mg and these pills does not help my headaches so only some people
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello.....
Well....I have been taking topamax for 2.5 years. I have had all the side effects and did not relate any of them to the drug. I am bi polar and thought it was me.
My dose is now been moved to 400 a day taking it only once. What triggered me to this site was the pain in my eyes.....I have had redness and pain for over 6 months....and have been treated for allergies..and infections...lately...my body seems to be completely breaking down. In January I took leave from work because I no longer could concentrate....and I sleep 16 to 18 hours a day....my body aches...but I thought it was my cycling from bi polar mania as I was told, and depression. This site has been a blessing to me!
Thankyou....to all of you.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I Had been on the Topamax first before I was on my Lexapro experiencing no sex drive. Didnt think anything of it. Now its kind of getting annoying!! I think its the Topamax. I am going to talk to my doctor about it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was prescribed Topomax for nerve damage I suffered as a result of spinal chord injury. The problem is I also have Lupus, and the Topomax caused extreme fevers and Lupus flareups. I think it's very dangerous for conditions like mine and would like to inform others. Please let me know who to contact.