Cream for Scars?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
LisaL

Re: Cream for Scars?

Post by LisaL »

Our nurse at TCH told us not to put anything on the scars. Hannah's pediatrican told us to use Mederma. We were told that Vitamin E and aloe can keloid a scar. Some people have reactions to Vitamin E oil. But then you hear from platic surgeons that it doesn't matter what you use your body will heal a certain way. We had good luck with Mederma.

Lisa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How long was it before you noticed that the scar was starting to fade? I've been using mederma for 8 weeks and the scars are still very noticeable. People approach me all the time asking what happened to my sons neck.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

I have also heard of some people having reactions to Vitamin E oil. Mederma may be your best bet. Although it comes in a small tube, a little bit goes a long way. Good luck!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LisaL, You mentioed vitamin E and aloe can Keloid a scar. Not sure I know what that is. I was reading " Excessive contraction and hyperplasia leads to formation of a keloid." What would be excessive contraction and hyperplasia?? All this is new to me. Excuse my ignorance... Thanks to all of you for your help...
LisaL

Post by LisaL »

A scar that is keloid would be a raised red scar. I'm not sure why this happens when some people use Vitamin E or aloe. That is what the nurses at TCH told us when Hannah had her primary surgery.

Only an unasked question is a dumb question.

Lisa
Clint

Post by Clint »

As Lisa mentioned, we use Mederma on Hannah's scars. Although, according to Dr. Nath it's really just genetics. Some scars keliod and some don't and there's no majic lotion to prevent it.

And just a quick comment on urea. While not necessarily pleasent, urine (and urea) is sterile when it leaves the body. Regardless, most urea is manufactured and not "organic". It is created by chemical companies. Urea is a common ingredient in makeup and other products we use everyday.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for all your replys. James irritation has completely cleared up now. It looks so much better. I think we are just going to stick with the Mederma.
darlily

Post by darlily »

I was told that it wasn't the cream but the way you rub it on. When you massage the cream across the scar, it devalopes more scar tissue - this is not what you want when the inscision has already healed, it will make the scar thicker. Rub the cream along the scar lines. If the scar is a "V" shape, start where the lines meet and rub out to the ends. I was told four times a day should keep it soft and will keep the scar tissue from growing more than it needs to. So far it has worked - you can see the scar but you can't really feel it.