Edema in affected arm - anyone?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

Edema in affected arm - anyone?

Post by Francine_Litz »

Maia's arm is really huge these days - it's very swollen. It seems that when we are not doing TES (due to eczema breakout) the fluid really starts building up in her arm. Anyone else's child have this happen? I took a couple of pictures yesterday and will post them to her site...I'll let you know when they are up so you can see what I'm talking about.
Joshua

Re: Edema in affected arm - anyone?

Post by Joshua »

Our daughter has had a couple of episodes of edema when she has gotten infections in her arm. I watch closely for it and we have been lucky so far. I do notice that healing can take weeks for even a small scratch or sore and infections are a big problem. EMS may help with the edema and ROM/massage and keeping her arm above her heart especially while sleeping should help minimize the problem. I also worry about thrombosis (blood clots) and if her arm suddenly gets discolored or goes cold or if you can't feel a pulse it would be a good idea to take her to an ER.

Joshua