One-Hand Keyboard typing software for Mac and PC

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
pkamb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: One-hand keyboard software developer.

One-Hand Keyboard typing software for Mac and PC

Post by pkamb »

It's finally up on the Mac App Store! Thanks to everyone who pushed me to launch the Mac app. I finished it in about half the time I thought it would take, and I'm very proud of the end result. You'll be able to type FAST with one hand.

Find it on the Mac App Store here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand ... d465275525

Free Demo Version:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand ... 5004?mt=12

As a reminder, it's a one-hand keyboard based on your (former) two-hand muscle memory. It's recommended for (in the case of this board) Brachial Plexus Injury sufferers who were formerly two-hand, no-looking-at-the-keys touch typists.

Any time you want to press a key on your bad hand, use the equivalent (symmetrical, "mirrored") motion with your good hand instead.

Your brain is amazing, and can already make these substitutions without you having to think about it at all. Just type, let your muscle memory take over.

So, if you're using your left hand, any time you want to press the key "K", tap "D" instead. When you want "I", tap "E". Get it? Same finger, same motion (but mirrored), just with the other hand.

My program is running in the background, always computing the most-likely word for any given keys that you type. So if you tap the keys "tges", it will figure out you meant the word "this".

If you were formerly a touch typist, this method will be way faster than hunting and pecking with one hand:
itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand-keyboard/id465275525

UBPN has been great to me and I'm hoping to get some good feedback from you folks! All feedback will go into improving the next version of the software.

And remember, the PC version is still available here:
onehandkeyboard.org/

Thanks!

Peter

Previous Discussion:
ubpn.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34862
Last edited by pkamb on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: One-Hand Keyboard typing software for Mac and PC

Post by Carolyn J »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :mrgreen:
You are AWESOME,Friend!
HUGGZ,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

I have some questions. I have been looking for a one handed keyboard since my injury. You say this is for touch typist, I used to be good at typing but now I have gone back to looking at the keyboard because of my injury. So I can be clear, this is an app that runs in the background, so I don't need any new hardware? What about tutorials, is there a way that I can practice using the software so that I can become proficient? And if there is, does it come with the app or do I have to find one on my own. Any help you can give me would be wonderful.
Sincerely
Brandon Hubbard
pkamb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: One-hand keyboard software developer.

Post by pkamb »

Hi Brandon, I thought this topic would email me when people posted replies but I guess that setting was off. Sorry for the delayed reply!

Right, this is a software-only app that runs in the background and lets you type in any textfield on your computer. No need for new hardware. It will work with your laptop keyboard or any USB keyboard.

As for tutorials, I don't have anything yet. I'd like to have a guided step-by-step teaching program, but I wanted to concentrate on getting the software out there as quickly as possible. Hopefully some time in the future. I'd also like to have a trial program for the Mac, but the App Store doesn't allow for trials. I'm considering a few options. There is a free trial for the PC.

You can somewhat "practice" the technique right now, without installing any software. Simply type according to the concept, substituting the key presses that would normally happen with your bad hand to the equivalent on your good hand. So "this" with your left hand is "tges". Does it feel natural? Does your muscle memory still carry over?

(When you're not running any software, the key presses will of course still come out exactly as you typed them: "tges". Just imagine that my app is correcting it to "this" as you are typing.)

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be interested if you had any ideas on how to best "learn" the technique, such as the tutorial software you mentioned. How long ago was your injury?

Peter
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

Thanks for getting back to me, I am gonna download the app and just go for it ans I will update you as I move along. So very looking to take this on and really give it a shot. My email address is Brandonhubbard_3@msn.com. Having yours would be great, or you can friend me on FB, that would be great too. Brandon Hubbard is the name.
Thanks
B
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

Hey Brandon, I'll send you an email.

For anyone else, a good email to reach me at is support [at] onehandkeyboard.org

I try to answer any questions quickly!
pkamb

Post by pkamb »

Hi folks, wanted to let you know a free demo version of the app made it into the Mac App Store!

One-Hand Keyboard [Practice Version]:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand ... 5004?mt=12

Unlimited one-hand typing in the app's practice window. Great for testing out the technique and seeing if it works for you.

A major update to One-Hand Keyboard is also coming soon, with some pretty cool new features. More on that soon.