Almost there

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Salina

Almost there

Post by Salina »

Yeah 2 more weeks and my little girl might get her cast off for the wrist tendon transfer she had, I am very pleased with the way we were treated.
She was in surgery for 3 hours and in recovery 6 hours and is now in a Full arm cast.
She is Already trying to wiggle her fingers, Me and my Husband cried when the doctor came out and said when he did the last tendon she Let her wrist drop go.
I am so happy i cry and now cant wait to see the cast come off all the praying helps.
I will write more latter.
Tessie258

Re: Almost there

Post by Tessie258 »

Awesome!
I hope you have great success!!!
Teresa
Salina

Post by Salina »

Thank you Very much
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I hope there is great success with this surgery your daughter has had, Salina.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
BHorner

Post by BHorner »

Hi--I am so happy you are seeing good results from the surgery. My daughte, Madesyn, hasn't had that procedure yet (that is the next one on we need to do), so I am excited to hear that you have had good results. How long does she have to wear the cast? How long will they have to do OT after the cast comes off? Where did you go to have the procedure done? How old is your daughter? Sorry about all the questions!! Her last surgery was when she was 14 months old and she is now 7 so I am a little nervous about her going through it.
Salina

Post by Salina »

Hello,
My Daughter is going to be 3 years old in June,
She is RBPI And the tendon transfer was done by Dr.Hentz At Standford hospital.
She has had the cast on for 4 weeks next week when we go down there they are suppose to put a new one on or take it off.
She will be splinted in a cast that can come off and on for 6 m to 1 year.
We will not know about OT untill we go down there.
This has been one of the best choices i have made if there is a wrist drop, ulnar deviation i would consider doing surgery
So i did for my little girl the Dr said if we waited it would have been more hard to correct it cause of secondary bone deformalitys.
Let me know k
I will keep everyone updated.
BHorner

Post by BHorner »

Our doctors at TCH and our OT said that Madesyn needed to be older before they would recommend this surgery because the OT is going to be harder and more demaning of Madesyn than before. So we haven't done anything for a couple years now and it is a bit frusterating because you want to try to continue to be pro-active in her injury and getting her through what she needs to so she can get better. So your daughter was only 3 when she had her surgery?? Guess I will start making some calls.

Thanks for your input.
Salina

Post by Salina »

You are very welcome let me know if you would like their number, The Dr wanted to do her surgery as soon as possible because the wrist.
He did mention normally they do this procedure when they are 5 years old.
I decided to do it as soon as i can for better recovery.
Talk to u soon .
Love Salina